Thursday, January 10, 2013

To Do In Houston This Wknd - Visual Art, Dance, Music

Oh, heck, yes!!! It is almost the weekend. Technically, only the second weekend of the new year. Does it not feel like the year has been longer? I totally mean that in a good way...I hope.

Houston has a lot going on and I cannot wait for the following three things this weekend:

Friday, January 11, 2012
Art Opening: Mie Olise - Crystal Bites of Dust
Barbara Davis Gallery
Artist reception: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
$Free

I first encountered Danish artist, Mie Olise's work during a 2010 exhibition, Mie Olise: A Fugitive Crosses His Tracks - Departure, at Barbara Davis Gallery. The landscape of paintings and installations were breathtaking and the whole exhibition drew upon being in a similar state of desire of departure of leaving it all behind all that you know in search of a world better than the one you left. A world, at the time, that I wanted to be in.

This new body of work focuses on a particular part of Brooklyn. Brooklyn, as a whole, is a current love of mine. Check out Mie Olise's blog for more words from the artist. It can't come from a better place than there.

The exhibition runs through March 9, 2013. Barbara Davis Gallery is at 4411 Montrose. barbaradavisgallery.com.

Friday, January 11, 2013
Dance Performance: Stephen Petronio Dance Company - Underland
*Special Offer for Young Professionals below
Cullen Theater, Wortham Center
8 p.m.

I love SPA. I love the variety & quality they bring to the art scene of Houston. 

Other things I know: I love dance, fun costumes and music.

What I don't know: whom Stephen Petronio is (although I'm about to find out through research) and whether or not I will like his dance.

Being in a world where emails come whipping past you like a deluge of hard rain, I do hope that SPA is also promoting and reaching out to audiences with the fact that the ballet is inspired by the bittersweet songs of pop balladeer Nick Cave.

I'm not sure what that totally means but you had me at NICK CAVE.  Yes, the Nick Cave that just had a third night go on sale at the Beacon Theatre. Yes, the Nick Cave of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

If I had seen that first, I wouldn't have cared who was on the stage. OK, not really, BUT, it definitely helps sell it to me than with someone I don't know.

Oh, and Adult Content helps, too. Get tickets at http://spahouston.org.

>> Young Professionals can join SPA, Houston Young People for the Arts and Houston Ballet Barre for a night of adult merriment and culture. Get more info here.

Saturday, January 12, 2013
Music: DJ Jonathan Toubin and New York Night Train Soul Clap and Dance Off
$9

If you love Houston's monthly Fistful of Soul, then meet your maker. Yes, FoS, DJ Jonathan Toubin (originally from Houston, heyyy) is your father and he brings his incredibly popular Soul Clap and Dance Off to Houston for one-night-only.

Let him take you back to feeling like you're going back in time when all music was really good. He's armed with 45s of songs you've never heard but you'll wish you had.

You're only going to be able to hear it here. Plus, enter the dance off and win $100 at midnight. 

I made it to the finals in Austin a few months ago. Think you have what it takes? Bring it to the dance floor.

Get the Clap! The SOUL CLAP! Jonathan Toubin's FREE New York Night Train SOUL CLAP CLASSICS VOL. 1 mix (http://soundcloud.com/nynt/01-soul-clap-classics-1-wav).

No comments:

Post a Comment