Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What I'm Reading Today: Ambition, Tacos, Coffee, Google, Humans

Here are some headlines that caught my eye today in Career, Food, Business and People...and explains the photos on Humans of New York...!

Career: 
Dads' Housework Inspires Girls' Ambitions (Wall Street Journal)

Photo by vibeke b
More and more I am seeing fathers taking their children out and about than I ever saw before and I'm loving it. With roles in families changing, there's no doubt we are seeing more men in the kitchen, taking out the garbage, and making the beds.

Now, whether or not this really holds true - I still admire the hard work my parents did to raise a family. They both worked and I'm still trying to figure out how my mother always put steaming hot, delicious meals on the table at just the right time despite being at work at 7 a.m. and coming home around 5 p.m.

I'm also posing a thought: that your career can sometimes be pre-determined by what your parents did. What are your thoughts? Do you work in a similar field as your parents?

Food: 
Taco Recipes from Saveur (Saveur)

I have yet to make a recipe from Saveur but tacos seem easy enough (right? I hope), this could be the start of a beautiful beginning. And, if you love, food, I love g

P.s. If you're looking for some good street tacos in Houston, please check out Tacos La Bala. Bring cash and your hunger.

McDonald's coffee to hit supermarkets (USA Today)

A few weeks ago, I had a cup of coffee picked up for me. They asked if I wanted three creamers in it. Three creamers? That's insane but it was too late.


Business:
Google's IPO, 10 Years Later: Just 10 Stocks Beat It (WSJ)

If only I had plugged $10k into Google ten years ago...and see their 5 Craziest Projects Sinces Its IPO 10 Years Ago.

People:
Humans of New York Goes Global (NYTimes)

New York City, one story at a time is now on a 50 day trip in partnership with the United Nations. If you haven't liked Humans of New York on Facebook yet, I suggest you do.

I've been wondering about his latest photos in Iraq and, well, this explains it all. Instead of strolling the streets of NYC, he's been introducing us to the people of Iraq. And, I've been loving this, too.

Health:
Yoga boosts brain power in the elderly (Business Standard)
I did more yoga when I had to drive to class than when I live right next door to the yoga studio. Explain that.

I know a lady that I wouldn't necessarily call "elderly" but she's over 60 and has a better body than a 30-year-old. Why and how? Well she eats sensibly and does yoga. And, she does it for free via YouTube.

1 comment:

  1. It is a very nice and useful blog.

    http://www.chimichurrisgrill.com/

    ReplyDelete